3.25.2014

The mutation of species...

I decided to make a leap with the plumpie. Instead of just having a solo figure in space I decided to see what would happen if I created these amalgamations. One reason was that I really enjoy doing the line work. The more complicated the object the more lines I got to paint. What follows is a lot of experimentation. 
Here is my first attempt. For some reason whenever I am timid or unsure of an image I go with a mostly yellow based pallet. I'm pretty pleased with this first try. 

In image two I wanted to try a more symmetrical image. Again this one kind of harps back to the idea of the double eagle. Really pleased with the look. I started noticing I used the same few visual elements and combining them in different ways. 

This image represents a giant leap and risk for me. I decided to go back into the image once the paint had dried and attack it with colored pencil. Again I started with a more blended and smooth approach which I later kind of get away from. I also decided I didn't like the pencil on the eye. 

This next one gets a bit more complicated and with a wider variety of colored pencils thrown in. Again I moved away from this later on but I really like the feel of this one.  It's got a lot of good modeling going on. 


The next three are kind of based around the same idea of the eye placed in the center of the form and not just on the edges. This one is very simple. 
A bit more complicated with a brown toned pallet and really simple application. 

Again pretty simple. But this is one of my favorite color pallets. Very firey and warm with a big gradient change from red to orange. I also brought back the hard highlight lines. 

That wraps it up for this post. In the next post things go back and forth and experimentation continues and get more and more complex. 

As always thanks for looking. Comments and critiques are always welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment