3.12.2014

Things start to take a turn.

So I started to change things up a bit in these images. I decided to try out some new forms, still keeping in line with the plumpie feel, but adding a little more to them. I also got looser with my color application.  Here's the start of the evolution. 
I'm not sure what I was thinking when I came up with this design. Maybe a kind of side view of two plumpies looking at each other. The umbilical was a last minute addition to the piece, but I wanted to show there was a more physical connection going on.  I feel like you can feel the intamacy between them. 

This was the first time I came up with this kind of free floating eye unit thing. Again I wanted them to connect in some way and I really enjoy the back and forth squiggle looking things, so that was my approach.  I had a lot of fun painting this one as well, because Jessica painted on it with me.  It has some real nice translucent qualities. 

I don't even know with this one. Not the most successful thing I have ever made but it did lead to some pretty good ideas later on. Note the complimentary color scheme, so original. 

I have long been fascinated by the idea of the two headed eagle. First used by the Romans and now the Russians. It symbolizes watching both side of an empire that is expansive. The piece above is my nod to that. I also kind of saw it as a coat of arms or a ornamental piece. I was also a bit looser with the color kind of a color stipple type feel, not as blended as the previous images. 

Being looser with the water color led to this piece where I decided to just let it go and see what would happen.  Kind of came out looking like some sort of weird camouflage. Again over all I wouldn't consider this one a huge success, but it allowed me to understand the medium a little better, which led me to how I am painting now. Some great lessons come out of failures. 

All of that leads to the final image of the post. Where I kind of combined what I liked and made something I really am happy with. This is still one of my favorite images. Partially because the color is kind of ghostly and haunting, partially because I think the composition is really nice. This is also the first image where I decided to take out the extra highlights in the eyes and just go with the two ellipses.  I also gained some knowledge about applying shadows with complimentary colors instead of just darkening main image color.  Overall not to bad.  

These pieces led to some major breakthroughs for me. In the next post things start to really break out an expand, but for now I'll leave you with this thought. One of my biggest beliefs about making art is to make as much as you possibly can. The chances are that 1 out of every 5 pieces you make will really be pleasing to you and be really good. If you make 100 image than you have 20 quality works. If you make 10 then you'll only be left with two. 

Thanks for looking. As always comments and critiques are welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment